Saturday, July 19, 2014

Papa's farewell: a writing prompt

~Saturday Stories~


I'm not finished with my latest book yet, so I'm going to post another Monday Minute prompt. Tessa Emily Hall is planning to do them once every other week now instead of each week. If you haven't yet, check them out. They're pretty fun.

This time I used the prompt sentence (submitted by Mary B.): A branch cracked behind me. I whirled around but there was nothing there.



A branch cracked behind me. I whirled around but there was nothing there. Papa chuckled in the dark. “There’s nothing to be scared of, Cece”. He put his hand on my shoulder and we continued our trek up the hill. “Are we ever gonna get there?” I shivered. “Cold?” he rubbed my back for a moment. “We’re almost there.” As we finally came to the top my eyes widened. Here was something I had never seen before: our village as small as my fist, light coming only from a couple windows. And then nothing but pitch dark all around it. “What’s there, Papa?” I pointed. “Fields upon fields upon fields” his voice was full of pride. “That’s where we grow our corn, Cece”. Suddenly he twirled me around and whispered hot into my ear. “I have something else to show you too”. We lay down on the grass. “See the stars?” “Uh-huh” I whispered back. “Is that where God lives?” Papa chuckled. “Yep, but not just there. God lives everywhere. He’s all around you and you can talk to Him anytime. You know that, don’t you?” I nod. Of course I know. Papa sighed. “Cece” he began slowly. “What if I went on a long, long journey and you couldn’t come with me - yet – what would you do?” I gasped with horror. “Oh, I’d miss you.” I saw a tear glide down his cheek. “You aren’t going anywhere, Papa, are you?” “I don’t know.” He shook his head softly. “I don’t know. Cece, promise me you’ll always trust God and talk to Him. Promise me. Please.” I looked up into Papa’s big, brown eyes, his sad smile. “ ’Course. ‘Cause God loves me.” He nodded. After a while we walked down the hill.
Next day Papa died from cancer.  

What do you think of it? How can I make it better?

No comments:

Post a Comment