Thursday, June 5, 2014

3 truths to ponder

~Tuesday Thoughts~


*Sorry for this being late. I wrote it on Tuesday, just messed up a little.*
  
This last Sunday we had a sermon on Romans 1:14-16.

14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:14-16 King James Version

Truth #1 (v. 14): I AM A DEBTOR.
Doesn’t sound too great, does it? But it’s true. Why do we often remember that we owe people – obeying our parents, listening to a boss, paying taxes – but so often forget that we owe so much to God? Debt comes out of a relationship. We have a relationship with our parents, so when they say “go pick up your room – now!” we go and do it. If we aren’t their kids, their order doesn’t mean anything to us. Or at work – we need to follow a boss’s orders. But if we aren’t working at his company, then we don’t have to… So, if you have a relationship with God you owe Him. But I’m telling you: it’s so worth it.

Truth #2 (v. 15): I AM READY.
OK, we know we owe God something, but if we’re not ready to do anything what’s that knowledge for? We should be ready at any time to go and do something, whatever that ‘something’ might mean. In church we divided up in groups to discuss where we could do talk about Him: at work, at school, in a taxi, etc. I personally like the idea of talking with people I’ll probably never see again: in a taxi, on a train, in a plain, etc. I don’t remember ever doing it, but it kind of takes care of the what-will-they-think-of-me question, doesn’t it? That’s NOT to say you shouldn’t talk about the Lord at home. We should.

Truth #3 (v. 16): I AM NOT ASHAMED.
So that sounds pretty ‘right’. We’re not ashamed, right? There’s nothing to be ashamed about, so theoretically speaking, we are not ashamed. But think about it. Why then do we not share more than we do? Why are we often quiet? Someone can be saved. Eternally. And anyway what’s the worst thing they can do to you? Laugh? Ignore you? Start gossiping and pulling pranks? I mean, really –that’s it?


I pray we learn to be bolder with the greatest message ever: SALVATION COMES – FREELY - THROUGH JESUS CHRIST ALONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment