Saturday, January 10, 2015

Gone

~Saturday Stories~


A while ago I wrote a paragraph for a writing prompt at Red Lettering.

He wheezes another cough and tries to lift his hand to my face. He can’t quite reach it. I wipe my tears and grasp his hand. “Don’t go” I whisper. He smiles his soft smile and breaks into another coughing fit. I watch as the only brother I've ever had dies on the bed beside me. It shouldn’t end like this. We should have fought more, stronger. We should have given him the best medical care there is. Forget the cost. “Mel, you don’t get it” he’s struggling to say every word but I hear the softness in his voice. “I’m gonna be”-his body shakes as he coughs once more- “in heaven.” His eyes are as blue as they have always been, staring straight through me, knowing what is inside - fear, hurt, and anger. “Kris’ll take care of you”. I can’t watch him slowly fade away, but I have to. I watch as what’s left of the color in his face pales.  He takes in a breath as if gathering his last strength to say the thing that really matters. “God… loves… you”. And with a last smile, he passes away. This is it. I stand up. I want to scream, to run away. This can’t be happening. As I turn to get out of the room, I bump into Kris. He holds me. And I cry out all I haven’t cried out yet. He is gone. My brother is gone. Forever.

Even though it can hurt so much to lose someone we love, we Christians have hope. We know that if (s)he also knew Christ we’ll see each other in a place far more glorious and wonderful than this.

It is okay to miss him/her. It is okay to feel that awful sense of loneliness - for a bit. But we can remember that the same God who was with us before is still with us now. And someday "He will wipe every tear from [our] eyes” (Revelation 21:4).  

"Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment