Saturday, November 15, 2014

False Friends and True Strangers by Nancy Rue

~Saturday Stories~


Typical Laura: "I don't have time for a job!" I wailed to Celeste the next morning...."I've got rehearsals every afternoon. I know I've only got a chorus role, but I still have to be there....And I've got ten tons of homework now that I'm finally in MAPPS classes. What am I supposed to do - give up sleeping?"

When parking her car Laura accidentally hit a truck. No big deal, right? Wrong. Her dad tells her she not only has to pay for the damage but that she needs to get a job too! Like she has time! But even after squeezing a job into her schedule, problems don't go away. No; instead, they add up quickly and leave her gasping for breath. What happened to "surrender to God" that made everything OK? Why is it not working anymore?


False Friends and True Strangers explores the life of a hectic-schedule teenager. Laura yearns for the times she had felt at peace with God, but they seem so long ago. Slowly yet surely the fog lifts and she feels Him, hears Him, knows where He wants her to go.

This is the second book in the 'Nama Beach High series. The first is New Girl in Town; the third and fourth - Fault Lines and Totally Unfair. Personally, I think Nancy Rue has written books that were a lot better. The beginning was slow, I believe, with most of the action in the last 15-20% of the book. Also, Laura has friends and a mentor who help her throughout the whole story -the stakes could have have been higher if she was sometimes completely ALONE. However, Nancy Rue was and remains one of my two favorite authors. She's written about a ton of books and I can hardly wait to get my hands on some of them!

For more on Nancy Rue visit her websiteFacebook page, and blogs for tweens, teens, and new adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment