Saturday, August 23, 2014

Glass Girl by Laura Anderson Kurk

~Saturday Stories~


Typical Meg: Wyatt told me once that if tenderness were a disease, I’d be terminal. “You’re just a little glass girl,” he’d murmur every time I blushed or cried or stared too long at someone. I didn’t mind it so much. The point was he knew that one day I’d break— not my heart, but all of me. I suppose he was right.

 


Her older brother died. In a school shooting. And she saw it.
More than a year later, Meg’s mom is still reeling from the loss and getting further and further into depression. It seems like Meg's losing her too. And then her dad suddenly moves them all to Wyoming. A fresh start? She hopes so. But can anything ever be really alright after something so awful?

The premise of Glass Girl, a girl trying to cope with losing a brother in a school shooting, is pretty interesting and new to me. It has good promise. For me, probably the biggest downside to the book is that there are very few mentions of God. Most of the ‘healing’ Meg receives can be attributed to her boyfriend. He is a Christian and is nice, although he doesn’t talk about God that much at all. He is also what one might call “too perfect to be real.” It might make the reader feel that in order to heal one has to have a perfect boyfriend instead of the truth that they need the Lord. There are also about half a dozen uses of not-so-good language. For these reasons, the book was pretty disappointing. If there was more about our Savior and less about Henry, the story could be much better, I think.

For more on Laura Anderson Kurk, visit her website and Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you reviewed this. I've been contemplating reading this book for awhile now. I've never heard any honest criticism on it until now. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :) What genre of books do you usually read?

      Delete