Friday, October 21, 2016

Life in community and life alone

~Friday for Friends~


A community group I go to is reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together. The second and third chapters discuss life in community and life alone in the Christian life. It's interesting how Bonhoeffer stresses that both have value and that one without the other is just wrong.

"And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe[a] came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." Acts 2:42-47 (ESV)



 "Blessed is the man[a]
    who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
  but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord,
    and on his law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:1-2 (ESV)

Do you spend time with fellow believers? Do you spend time alone with God?

3 comments:

  1. Sadly no... I gave up on making friends or getting along with other students or church members my age for person reasons. I still can be found in the back pew every Sunday morning trying to focus on the sermon though. I spend more time with classmates and folks I know and see round town. I live in a small town and most of the restraunts downtown know my name. For instance, one of the local restraunts downtown is a hotspot for high school students and college folks who choose to go to the local community college and in general a place where teens and young adults work and hang out. All the while across the street I know the whole staff at the facy restruant and bar I used to work in, and they know my order I always get. I socialize mainly by spending time downtown at night and when I run. Maybe I should find a group of Christian runners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Evan! That would be great, if it could happen. :)

      Delete
    2. I agree Sofia. You are so positive and a good poet. Thanks for bein a encouragement also

      Delete