Friday, December 26, 2014

Selfless love

~Friday for Friends~


"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philippians 2:3-4 (NIV)

Relationships… So many today love because they want to be loved back, jumping into relationships so that they will feel that bliss and joy of being one’s all. And it seems that so few come into them with “What can I give to make him/her feel better? What can I do to make his/her life a bit more filled with sunshine?” This is not just about boy/girl relationships, although it definitely applies to them.

How often do we catch ourselves thinking “Why does [friend] ignore me? Why did he/she do that? Why can't he/she spend more time with me?” But when was the last time we thought “Hey, maybe I should go see him/her? What would he/she like? What is the best way I can encourage him?” Granted, we do that every once in a while - possibly more at this past Christmas season. But oh-so-often it's about me, myself, and I.

God loved us first and therefore we should love also - with sacrificial love.

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." 1 John 4:10-11 (NIV)

Let's try to think of others all throughout the year! 

How about you? Do you have ideas on how you can show love to those around you throughout the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment